Akong Rinpoche 1939-2013
|Key to the TRT method which Akong Rinpoche introduced as crucial to this psychotherapy is the willingness to 'face the situation', whatever that may be. By not always trying to improve upon reality as one finds it, it is possible to see all sides of the situation including one's own hidden strengths. Such 'here and now' ideas fit easily with the Western Systemic/Social and Personal Constructivist approaches which invite us to take responsibility for the way we construct our world together (Maturana and Varela).|
Apart from his role as a spiritual leader and his contribution to psychotherapy and Tibetan Medicine, he was an outstanding humanitarian and co-founder of ROKPA INTERNATIONAL www.rokpa.org. His interests and activities included the following:
1. Restoring Environments through the application of sound ecological principles, such as re-introducing organic farming methods in the third world and preservation of all forms of life including endangered species of plants and animals.
2. Preserving Traditional Cultures throughout the world. He was personally engaged in such preservation of culture in Tibet, Nepal and Southern Africa.
3. Furthering Education In Tibet through founding and supporting schools focused on education of orphans and very poor children, especially in remote and nomadic areas. Establishing Tibetan medium curricula and teaching materials in areas where the written language had nearly died out.
4. Preservation of Tibetan Medicine, its herbs and pharmocognosy as well as its textual and practise traditions.
5. Feeding Hungry People through soup kitchens/greenhouse projects in Europe, Asia and Africa.
He was a British citizen and raised a family in Dumfries, Scotland.